A Year of Projects: Blog-A-Long
I stumbled upon a Ravelry group, A Year of Projects, via another blog: Backstage Knits. Most members’ year runs from the first Sunday in July until the last Sunday in June; they are on week 8. As you can see, I’m a bit late, but that won’t stop me from joining in! The group is a loose collective of bloggers who make a plan for the year, then discuss their progress via blog for the next 52 weeks, modifying goals as needed. There are no strict “rules”. You can plan to work through your WIPs, your stash, a pattern book, all of these, none of these. Cool, yeah?
I don’t know about you, but I like an amorphous challenge. The choose-your-own-adventure type of challenge that has no rules, few guidelines, and is more or less completely arbitrary but you personally need to tease out what you want to accomplish. I also know that “SMART” goals are the most effective, so I try to incorporate that kind of planning into my challenges.
SMART Goal Planning
What is a SMART goal? They are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely. Personally, I struggle with the specific part. “I want to make all the things” is not quite specific enough. I have multiple running lists of fiber related things I want to accomplish at any given time- in my head. I jotted them all down in my planner. Bonus for this planner, I can move my list from month to month because the pages are not permanently affixed.
My SMART Goal will be: Complete 20 items off my Total List by the end of June 2021. Since these items are tangible, completion is easy to measure. I have the skills to complete all of these projects, and the materials on hand to complete most of these projects. The goal is realistic in scope, some of these tasks are relatively quick; I just need to DO them. Bam: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely.
I have more fabric than I know what to do with. Considering I don’t sew all that often. Making masks for my family, and now for donation, has been GREAT for destashing! I’m trying to find a positive spin for this pandemic. I want to be able to house my ENTIRE fabric stash in one bin. (This is a long term goal that may or may not be attainable)
I also have fabrics I purchased for specific intent: my Nightmare Before Christmas knit fabric for PJ pants, and some cotton to make my daughter longer PJ pants. I’ve never sewn a knit fabric before, but I purchased a new piece for my machine so it doesn’t eat the fabric and I have the ballpoint needles. Just need to over come the FEAR.
My spinning wheel has been out of commission for about 2 years. The treadle connector broke, I have another one. I just haven’t taken the 10 minutes to swap out the piece. Laziness. I have a partial spin in the works too. I want to finish that this year. I also have 2 bobbins of plied yarn “resting”, also for over 2 years. I need to hank it and soak it and give it a good whack to set (2 hours of “work”, tops).
Self explanatory. For 2020 I’ve 55/100 balls worked. I don’t count the ball as used/worked until the project is complete.
I have a goal of 100 balls to destash/work for 2021.
I’m pretty lukewarm on my old WIPs. My 2020 goal is to complete 8 OLD projects, I’ve completed 5 thus far. Most of these projects are on my Ravelry projects page.
Design Projects and Yarn Designation
This is the most exciting part for me! I have a bunch of stash I caked up last month, and have been making plans for it. I have some ideas, but no real planning…. except Chaos Cables. That will be my next design project- once I get my outstanding patterns written/published!
It appears I have quite a few sweaters on the horizon. Not all of the sweaters will be design publications- discontinued yarn is not really a brilliant choice. I want to make sure the yarn is attainable, even if the colorway is discontinued. Its highly likely I will make my own design up for the yarn I have on hand- its how I roll.
This week I got the “big kid” sized mask pieces cut out. I ended up with 13. This week I want to sew the fronts and backs, but not necessarily sew them together. 2 lining layers, and the top. I’m going to experiment with sewing both layers of the lining together, as opposed to sewing them separately and then managing 3 different layers. It will definitely take less time to sew by sewing them together- at the very least.
I’ve also been making a little progress on the Sunspots Blanket, HPW Stripes sweater, and a few rows on my handspun ribbed cowl.